Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Jesus Is....

So I apologize for not posting a Sunday verse, if you can imagine, we were spending time with family and enjoying company together. It's not that I don't love my blog, but sometimes priorities trump all.


Our  family time was very, very important....






Hey, we admired God's beautiful creation. Technology was a secondary factor this weekend.

But, anyway, back to the topic at hand. So I am stealing this idea from our pastor at Aldersgate Church who spoke on the times where Jesus said "I am...", validating Himself as the Lord. In all reality, I had never gone through the bible and noted the times were Jesus stated what He was. So, I have complied all of the "I am" statements in the book of John that tells of Jesus' teachings and miracles.

The first "I am" comes in chapter 6:

"Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.'" -John 6:35

Then He clarifies by adding:

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh which I give for the world." John 6:51

Now, here, Jesus is declaring hunger and thirst? But is it real water? Let's backtrack a couple chapters to when a Samaritan woman asked Jesus how basic water would cure eternal thirst.

"Jesus answered 'Everyone who drinks this water {water from a well} will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." -John 4:13-14

Jesus' reference to water is spiritual, meaning believe in Him and your spirit will never thirst for more.


Then we get two more from John 8.

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of the world." -John 8:12

Keep in mind, all of these refer to the spirit, meaning the holy spirit will reside in you and show you the way.

"But he continued, 'You are from below, I am from above. You are of this world, I am not of this world. I told you that you would die  in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you indeed will die in your sins." -John 8:23-24

That one was laden with "I am" but I think it's explanatory.


Then one of my favorites:

"I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep and my sheep know me. Just as the Father knows me and I know the Father - and I lay down my life for the sheep." -John 10:14

When our pastor lectured on this he noted how humerus it was that Jesus refers to us as sheep. Sometimes people can be pretty dumb, just like sheep. We need a lot of guidance.



So how do the sheep get to the good shepherd? Through the gate.

"I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved."



And finally, the verse that ties it all together:

"Jesus answered 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6


There is only one way to heaven, through Jesus. This Sunday, I hope you celebrated your one way ticket to heaven through Jesus. If not, it's never too late to accept Him into your heart.

Have a very blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment